While some have criticized the recent surge of 3D games for Android as being a mere fad, the fact remains game developers are building high-end games for the platform. On top of that, there are more 3D-powered Android smartphones and tablets than any other mobile OS. For any serious gamer, it’s hard to ignore the thrilling aspects of 3D graphics in a mobile gaming environment. The only downside, which is minimal, is that 3D games cost a bit more than traditional 2D Android games. If you have the cash and smartphone with a sweet 3D graphics processor, your gaming experience is about to get a whole lot better. Let’s take a look at some of the hottest cross-platform (smartphone/tablet PC) 3D games for Android.
- Asphalt 5 – Until recently, this game was only available for iOS-powered devices and was only developed with 2D graphics. Now, the game can be played in 3D and with HD video quality on any 3D-enabled Android device. The game lets you race on realistic racetracks all over the world. It also features a 3D accelerometer, multi-player online racing, incredible graphics and audio production.
- Crusade of Destiny – This game is another one of those Android releases developed by iOS-only developers. When it was first put on the market in 2010, it was among the first full-scale role playing games for Android. The app is similar to World of Warcraft in many ways. For instance, the game features lots of side quests, a 24-hour gaming cycle, several 3D worlds to play through and, of course, sophisticated 3D graphics.
- Battle Racing 3D – This high-speed racing game lets you control the steering wheel from the interface on your Android phone or tablet. You can also select from five, fully customizable vehicle models and play in two settings: Battle or Time Attack mode.
- Dungeon Hunter – While Dungeon Hunter is among the highest-priced games in the Google Play store — currently downloadable for $6.99 — the truth is you get what you pay for. The game is an action-packed fantasy game in the vein of Diablo 2. Of course there’s the awesome 3D graphic experience, but there’s also plenty of quests to choose from, as well as a plethora of weapons to use on your dungeon monster killing spree.
- Light Racer 3D – If you ever wanted to have a futuristic motorcycle race to the death with your friends, then Light Racer 3D might be your game. The graphics are amazing, the concept is solid and the game lets you race your friends in an online, multi-player gaming environment.
The world of mobile gaming is rapidly transforming. While this isn’t much of a surprise, it’s important to note developers are bringing their A-games and doing so in a 3D environment. What was simply labeled as a passing mobile trend a few years ago is now starting stick. In short, there’s a lot to look forward to in the world of 3D gaming.